View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dizzy
Base Member

Drives: 10 HW 6MT SPT/NAV
Dizzy is on a distinguished road
Default Winter Storage - To Cradle, Or Not Too Cradle??

I've done a bunch of searches and read a bunch of material on winter storage. Of course, with every issue, there are varying opinions. Having read both sides of most arguements, I've pretty much got my prestorage routine down, except for one issue - the tires.

There are definitely two sides to this arguement. One side saying get tire cradles to keep the car off the concreate and prevent flat spots. Flatstoppers being the most recommended, but expensive solution. Then there is the other side who say todays tires are not that subject to flat spots and it isn't an issue. Just inflate to max pressure and there will be no flt spot issue.

I've read enough on the subject that I've decided against jacking the car. I'm inclined to believe the people on that issue who say a cars wheels aren't meant to hang and it can put unneccessary stress on your suspenion components. So, it's wheel cradles, or nothing.

The question - how many of you Ontario folks have stored your Z's on a concrete garage floor? I'm looking for an informed answer from someone in the same climate as me. Did you get flat spots? If you did, how quickly did they disappear?

At this point, I believe I will forgo the cost of flatstoppers and just jack the car and then lower it onto a couple of Michelin garage mats that can be had at Costco for a fraction of the price of flatstoppers. They are foam and the weight of the car will cause them to sag and imprint the shape of the tire. I'll end up with the same result as the flatstoppers at a fraction of the price.