View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
troach
Base Member

Drives: 2008 - 350z - Manual
troach is on a distinguished road
Default I Get 36MPG

I Get 36 MPG by accelerating very slowly, doing 65 on average. I go slowly up hills, slowly accelerate coming out of the crest of the top, then popping it out of gear, and gliding down the hills. Near the bottom, I pop it back in and slowly apply gas. You will find that by coasting, giving yourself room, and not having sudden changes in speed, that you will get great mileage. Everyone passed me today doing about 70-80mph, but they probably also get 15 mpg (the big SUV's probably get 8-10). People don't realize what they waste in gas. It took me about 6 minutes longer to get to work by driving about 5-10 mph slower than everyone else.

If you want to save money, slow down and don't drive aggresively. If you were riding a bike and peddling, you know you work harder to go up hills, so slow down a little bit up hills, and glide down hills. Same principal. Just like with "constant" speeds.

Also, stay with higher octane gas. What you save in lower octane, you waste with less fuel efficiency, not to mention the car drives like crap.
troach is offline   Reply With Quote