View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rainsford
Base Member

Drives: 07 Nissan Maxima
Rainsford is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg78 View Post
There's no way you can write anything off on a purchase? If you can obtain a loan (maybe with a co-signer) you're payments will be not too far off from those astronomical lease payments... And you OWN it! One other word of advice (might not be good) is that if you are going to rely on this car to get you around for work and is your only means of transportation, it may get REALLY scary in the snow! Especially in NY traffic and driving maniacs
Well from what I read, the write offs are bigger on a lease, but it's not really a deal breaker, it would just be preferred. But co-signing is pretty much out of the question, so it's looking like I'll have to save up for a few weeks for a nice big down payment!

And as far as the NY weather goes, ya I can believe it! Luckily, I won't be too far out from home to be able to borrow another car should it get real bad, but I guess I kind of have my fingers crossed that good ol' global warming speeds up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly yellow View Post
I'm not so sure that you are right about the tax deal though. I am in sales as well and I get to write off mileage used for business purposes. I think the current rate is 51 and 1/2cents a mile. I've never taken any deductions for the cost of my vehicle. I think what you are thinking about is if you are an indipendent contractor.
From what I understand, you can either do that, or write off the percentage of depreciation/repairs/gas/etc that's equal to the percentage that the car is used for business purposes (outside of commuting back and forth to work itself, of course)!

And 700 a month fully loaded?! Whenever I run the online car-price check things, it always comes out to way more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejo02 View Post
You can either wait until nissan comes out with a really good leasing deal or just flat out purchase it if you are going to put money down.
From what I've read here, that may just be what I do. Plus, I've kinda got my fingers crossed that when gas shoots up again this summer, the dealers may try pushing them out the door a little harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1686 View Post
What dealership on LI did you go to?
Massapequa Nissan, right on Sunrise Highway. Mind if I ask where you got yours?

As another question, would opting for the bose/GPS be worth it, or would I be better off going after market on it all? The GPS seems nice, but I'm not sure if splurging for the touring just for the right to add it is really worth it. Any advice?

Thanks again all!
Rainsford is offline   Reply With Quote