View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Skorch
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2012 370Z
Skorch has a reputation beyond reputeSkorch has a reputation beyond reputeSkorch has a reputation beyond reputeSkorch has a reputation beyond reputeSkorch has a reputation beyond reputeSkorch has a reputation beyond reputeSkorch has a reputation beyond reputeSkorch has a reputation beyond reputeSkorch has a reputation beyond reputeSkorch has a reputation beyond reputeSkorch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed a really annoying chirping sound develop inside the car. It's really difficult to tell exactly what it is, but it sounds sort of like a metal on metal contact or even a bad speaker. The thing is, it only happens when I'm moving and it doesn't matter if the stereo is on or off. From what I can tell it's coming from the passenger side behind the seat -- somewhere in the area of the passenger speaker (right next to the seat back) and the support brace / cargo cover bar.

I thought the speaker might be bad but it seems to sound just fine and happens whether the stereo is on or off.

Also, I haven't noticed the chirping when I have a passenger in the car. I don't know if it's just because I'm talking to them or we have the radio up or if this could be an issue with the seat.

Any ideas before I go tear the car apart? It's desperately annoying.

This is on an M6 Touring/Sport.

I was having pretty much that same exact problem. It sounded like it was coming from behind the seat, around the trunk area or the rear strut bar. It was driving me crazy - I took apart the entire trunk trying to figure out what it was. The weirdest thing was that it happened mostly in the mornings, when it was colder and would be quieter or disappear completely when it was hot. I even took it to the dealership but they blamed it on my tool box/stuff in the trunk and said they did not hear it anymore after taking that stuff out. I took it out, even the spare tire but the noise was still there.

So last night I gave one of my friends a ride in the car and immediately after hearing it he goes - dude, your headliner is buzzing. I did not believe him at first, but after pushing up on the headliner the noise disappeared. I pushed a bit more in several other places and now it's gone completely. I hope your issue is in the headliner as well - good luck!