View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #100 (permalink)
Minicobra1
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Tour, Spt, 6mt
Minicobra1 has a reputation beyond reputeMinicobra1 has a reputation beyond reputeMinicobra1 has a reputation beyond reputeMinicobra1 has a reputation beyond reputeMinicobra1 has a reputation beyond reputeMinicobra1 has a reputation beyond reputeMinicobra1 has a reputation beyond reputeMinicobra1 has a reputation beyond reputeMinicobra1 has a reputation beyond reputeMinicobra1 has a reputation beyond reputeMinicobra1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn370z View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but the z doesn't go into limp mode when driven on a hot day. The z does however go into limp mode when driven on a race track. I don't see nissan doing anything for us if it only over heats on the track.
Drove to the top of MT. BALDY in Ca. yesterday, never once got the car over 5000 rpm. Outside temp was about 90 degrees at the bottom and 80 degrees at the top. It's about a 15 mile climb to the top. about 3 miles into the climb my car get to 265-275. Now, Im pretty sure the car didn't go into Limp Mode, but there is no question there was a lot of power loss due too the heat. More then a few times downshifting to second or first and coming around a corner the car was really hesitant. I would give it throttle and it almost felt like traction control had kicked in. There was a big delay until the power came on, and when it did it felt weak. Keep in mind that I did not rev above 5000 rpm, was just driving up the mountain like if my grandma was in the car. I had the Traction Control turned off as to make sure that wasn't effecting the car. I'm pretty certain that if I had drove more sporty (kind of what you should be able to do in a SPORTS CAR) it would have shut down. I had to pull over to let some girl in a VW Bug pass me, b/c I was afraid to push it LOL :-) Pretty lame for a $40K sports car.

Ok, so on a side note. I took the long way down. GMR (Glendora Mountain Ridge Road) about 24 miles. This time I did a few spirited driving sessions, but still nothing extreme. The car ran in the 230-250 temp range and I didn't notice any power loss :-) Then again I would get on it for a couple a minutes and then back off, etc. There wasn't a time where I would be on it hard for more then a few minutes as to let the car and my temp to go back down :-)

This is totally unrelated but I have to say that was one of the best drives (down the mountain) that I've had in a long time. 24 miles and I only past 1 car, 2 motorcycle and 2 cyclist, otherwise the road was pretty much deserted. This was Sunday afternoon about 4pm, probably the best time to go. The car stuck like glue once the tires heated up, the HOTCHKIS swaybars made a huge difference in control and feel. It was a great ride, I will have to try and get some other 370z drivers up there on a late Sunday afternoon. GMR meet
370z Tour| Spt Pack|Navi|BERK CBE|Berk HFC's| Eibach Springs| Hotchkis Sway Bars|SPC Camber Arms|15mm Ichiba Wheel Spacers| 19"Factory Nismo Wheels-Matt Black|Stop Tech Rotors|TWM Shifter|3M Tint|Black Fangs|Black Rear Valance|JDM Fog Light| MY BAND-www.myspace.com/petroleum

Last edited by Minicobra1; 05-17-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Minicobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote