View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #34 (permalink)
stormcrow
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2010 370Z Nismo TT
stormcrow will become famous soon enough

NISMO221 -

I cut this from my build thread, but I hope it helps. Here are my reasons for going with the GTM kit over the GReddy.

Here are my reasons:

1. GOALS - I set my power goals at a maximum of 450-475 to the wheel. Though the GTM kit is scalable from 400 to over 1000whp with the Stage 2 through Stage 6 kits, I have found that anything over 450-500whp is a pure waste on the street. Traction issues keep the car slower out of the hole and cause drivability issues that I no longer want. As the street is where I do 100% of my driving, I have no need for anything more than a Stage 2 setup and 475whp. The GTM kit easily met my power goals.

2. QUALITY – There is no doubt that all three kits are of great quality. Some more so than others, of course, but nonetheless, they will all get the job done. The GTM and GReddy kits are both spectacularly designed with what surely looks to be a lot of thought and engineering behind them. The only concern I had with the GTM kit was the spacing of the power train that has to happen. But, I have researched and put my concerns to rest over this issue as it is a moot point and does not affect drivability or functionality of the car in any form or fashion. The down-side to the GReddy kit is the known issue of manifolds cracking which can be a great headache to repair. That and the lesser quality turbos. (IHI vs. Garrett)

3. OPTIONS – As trivial as this might be, for me, I prefer having options for detail items when purchasing a kit. Over the past few years I have learned that unless a manufacturer can cater to my anal-retentiveness and provide a “one stop shop” for all that I need, I will look elsewhere. The fact that I have options with the GTM kit such as black couplers, choice of polished or powder coated piping, choice of polished or thermo-coated intercooler, and optional ceramicoated manifolds and turbo exhaust housings, all at a reasonable cost, was just one more small detail that led me to choose the GTM kit.

4. ENGINEERING – One key factor for me is longevity of the kit that I purchase. A lot of parts are static and do not wear, so with every kit I have researched, these items are seemingly equal when it comes to predicted life-span. But, the major components – the turbos – are what interested me the most and certainly, in this regard, not all are created equal. The GTM kit uses Garrett ball-bearing, water-cooled turbos while the GReddy kit uses journal bearing, oil-cooled turbos. Given that the 370Z is plagued by oil temperature issues, one would think that the oil-cooled turbos would not be a considerable option. GReddy seemingly addresses this with a larger capacity oil pan and optional oil cooler, but I was (am) not convinced this would alleviate the faster degradation of the turbos that will certainly happen without these items.
stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote