View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #36 (permalink)
Namir
Track Member

Drives: 09 G37S 6MT
Namir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialgemini View Post
Protein shakes are meant to supplement more protein to provide "raw material" for muscle rebuilding after workouts. Essentially when you work out, you are pushing your muscles to higher stress loads. The effect of this is muscle damage, which is why you feel sore after after work outs. The soreness is due to the contents of your muscles cells spilling out. You want to take a post workout protein shake 30 mins after working out. Protein shakes are effective spread out through out the day. I usually take one in the morning, post workout, and after dinner. Each shake contains about 36g of protein.

The key thing with muscle building is providing the right nutrients and recovery time. In reality going to the gym is only half the battle.

Please keep in mind, that many of the methods that other people will tell you are methods that work for them. The way our bodies react are unique for each person. Find what works best for you and stick with it.
You have some good advice but you are spreading some common fallacies about workout soreness. I'm assuming by "spilling out" you are referring to the production of lactate as an anaerobic by product of cell metabolism. Lactate is constantly produced by the cells of the body and only rises during strenuous anaerobic activity. Lactate isn't a waste product, it simply allows the cells to anaerobically metabolize carbohydrates to generate energy. Lactate dissipates quickly via the blood stream and is converted back into pyruvate, which is the starting point for the TCA/krebs cycle (aerobic metabolism).

Lactate levels return to normal within a few hours after strenuous exercise. Thus, lactate can't be the culprit of 'muscle soreness' that we feel more than a few hours after a work out. The exact cause isn't completely understood but current explanations suggest that soreness is the result of microtearing in the muscle tissue.

I agree with everything else you said. I personally prefer my post work out shake immediately after a workout, and a meal within an hour of working out.

G37S|6MT|PREM|NAV|Eibach|Ichibia|Injen
Namir is offline   Reply With Quote