View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #1934 (permalink)
JB-370z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Stage 2 Twin Turbos
JB-370z is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phimosis View Post
Tom, have you ever had a tune that
has good driveability? I've seen your complaints about driveability and peak hp
with the newer tunes not delivering as well in the upper rev range. What I'm thinking is that if they have given you a tune that drives well, just stick with that, regardless of the peak hp number.

At 400 whp and 15% powertrain losses, you're making 470hp. That's stil 127 hp/liter. In the big scheme of things, this supercharger does work. At 127 hp/liter, that's like getting 635 hp put of a mustang or 787 hp out of a camaro. Basically, the only engines that are making the same power per displacement are cars with factory F/I and lowered compression ratios. Despite what their press release said, i don't expect them to squeeze this engine much tighter without something popping.

Since GTM was more optimistic in their press release, advertising 452.1 whp with their stage 1 kit at 8 psi boost, let's crunch their numbers: 462 whp with 15% drivetrain loss is 532 hp, or 143.75 hp/liter. That's a higher specific output than an F430 scuderia (118 hp/l), Lexus LFA (115 hp/l) or a ZR1 (102.9 hp/l). 530 hp is the same as the $190k GT2 with similar sized engine. Did they really expect to be in GT2 territory with an 11.0:1 engine and a supercharger?
My point is that your expectations are a little too high and if they can get you a tune that performs smoothly, you really are getting your money's worth.
Just trying to figure out your logic on hp numbers compared to Porsche or Corvette etc. There are smart cars that burn off on super-cars all day long regardless of hp/l or the cost of the vehicle. And why couldn't a supercharged 370z do just that????? Hp/l is thrown out of the logic as soon as you thrown in "After-Market Forced Induction". This is not a stock car we talking about and hp/l is only half the battle. You can buy a cheap car and throw forced induction in the equation and have a beast. Isn't this why forced induction is so awesome. And GTM does not have a car running 8psi outside of their scope so assumptions can only be made. At this point supercharger tuning is in its infancy stages and time will show more of its capabilities. And there are many other factors to a Porsche GT2 costing $190k than its hp/l factor.

Edit: I am really not trying to start a war here I am just trying to figure out how you are thinking, I might learn something here.

Last edited by JB-370z; 09-27-2010 at 07:36 PM.
JB-370z is offline   Reply With Quote