View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master_Ly
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z Sport
Master_Ly has a reputation beyond reputeMaster_Ly has a reputation beyond reputeMaster_Ly has a reputation beyond reputeMaster_Ly has a reputation beyond reputeMaster_Ly has a reputation beyond reputeMaster_Ly has a reputation beyond reputeMaster_Ly has a reputation beyond reputeMaster_Ly has a reputation beyond reputeMaster_Ly has a reputation beyond reputeMaster_Ly has a reputation beyond reputeMaster_Ly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dembflyr View Post
I had my transmission replaced at 6000 miles for a grind from fifth to sixth. The new one is not much better. I have noticed a slight grind going from second to third but only at lower rpm's. At higher rpm's it seems ok.
Wouldn't bad synchro's cause it to grind at higher rpm's then lower?
I know that this transmission is not known to be very smooth but I think it should be better than it is.
I have put 2000 miles on the new one and it hasn't gotten worse.
How much difference would you say you noticed from the old one to the new one. 1 to 5. 1 being no difference and 5 being a totally different feel?
I would say that mine is a 1. The smoothness of the shifting didn't change at all.
I would say base on your scale, I would give it a 3. When I slide it from say 2nd to 3rd, it goes in and it sort of feels like the synchro "naturally grabs" the gears to sync. The biggest difference is no gear grinds, regardless how low or high my RPM is and with or without SynchroRev. I've tested it through all. It also still has that stiffness feel like when I first bought the car. The best I can describe this is when it engages a gear, it feels like something sliding into place and locking in. It kind of has like that "click/clink" feel and as like the sound when you shift and hear with the engine shut off.

I didn't want to give it a 4 or 5 because it still retained the same characteristics when shifting through all of the gears under normal driving conditions. But not like a 1 or 2 because I'm no longer experiencing the extra harsh notchy-ness and periodical grinding in specific gears (3rd and 5th), beyond the "known not to be very smooth" operation as you had mentioned which is my understanding too.

If you are still experiencing "the beyond" as I did before my tranny replacement, especially with gears still grinding, I would have it diagnosed again by the dealership with no worries if you have warranty and just rack miles on a loaner vehicle. It definitely shouldn't be grinding at all though, assuming it's no fault in your shifting method.

I hope this helps shed some light further on what I'm experiencing!
Master_Ly is offline   Reply With Quote