View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Robert_Nash
Track Member

Drives: '14 Q60IPL/'14Armada
Robert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really nice
Question Engine Oil Temp and Summer Vacation - Opinions Sought!

Hi guys…I need some opinions.

I am tentatively planning on making a trip along the second half* of Route 66 this summer (late June/early July) which will be approximately from Amarillo, TX to Santa Monica Pier, CA. For those of you familiar with the part of country you probably know that Route 66 passes through some mountain crossing as well as some high desert crossing (the Mojave toe be exact). Temps along a lot of the route could easily be in the high 90s up through into the 110s.

This part of the Mother Road passes through cities like Santa Fe and Gallup (New Mexico), Winslow and Kingman (Arizona), and Needles and Barstow (California) before stopping at Santa Monica Pier.

Keeping in mind that I’ll be moving fairly slowly (45-55 MPH) along the old two-lane blacktop of Route 66; should I be concerned about doing this in my 370 given the concerns raised about the engine oil temperatures...should I use my other vehicle (see next paragraph)?

I do have the option of using my other vehicle (an ’08 Infiniti M45) which would be both more comfortable overall and I don’t think at all subject to overheating…however, it also certainly isn’t as much fun as my Z either.

Now, as I’ve said before in other threads, I haven’t really had any significant problems with my oil temps (certainly nothing approaching “limp” mode) but given the conditions I’ll be facing, it is a concern.

Opinions; especially from those familiar with this part of the U.S.would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input!