View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #25 (permalink)
Modshack
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Sport
Modshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
Along these same lines, someone (travis?) was talking about removing the plastic bits around the base of our wiper blades to achieve the same effect, opening a gap for heat extraction. I think he removed his wipers completely though. I'm not sure if it would work out to remove the plastic bits and keep the wipers.
All you actually have to do is remove the gasket that seals the hood to the firewall area. Air naturally flows into that pressure area (why the HVAC intakes are there) and will provide ventilation to the engine compartment. This may prove more cosmetically acceptable to the "Z" crowd looking to achieve temp reductions. I have done Temperature datalogging on my old Audi TT with and without the gasket and found an 18 dgree reduction in engine bay temps. Noise increases a bit as one of the primary purposes of the seal is to control NVH. The concept here is sound, the way to achieve the benefits can differ..

Graph shows the difference between the sealing gasket on and removed over a short road course, with a period of idling at the end on an 80 degree day...

Steal my car! (SOLD)...Now Porsche Cayman S
Oil Cooler DIY: Here!

Last edited by Modshack; 05-15-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote