View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Slynky
Track Member

Drives: 2010 Red 370Z T/S/N
Slynky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal 370Z View Post
The following thread is a photo essay that will help you as it shows specific photos on how to remove the glovebox: DIY: Adding In-Cabin air filter to the 370Z
You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

However, as you were posting this, I was doing it in-car.

This isn't intended to be a DIY but more of an explanation of how I went about bowing to my OC disorder...I like stuff that AIN'T supposed to rattle to NOT rattle.

So...

Decided to tape it off and then mark the edge/corners with a marke. I did the left side (because of the protrustion there) hoping I could use the stencil for the right sider:

Then, I pulled the tape out and stuck it to the material. Again, some kind of firm foam from Michaels. A sheet cost $.88. Probably my cheapest "upgrade" EVAH!

Cut it out and it fit pretty darn good !

(Here it is after cutting)

So, I decided the right side would be the same minus the cutout/protrusion part and cut me another piece:

And, with a bit of trimming, it fit fine, too.

So, one might have thought the bottom would be the easiest, but not so. Curved parts made for a weird stencil when pressed into 2D. But, here it is:

So, all the pieces cut and all that needs to be done is gluing. Left side and right side in place (wtih glue). Few hours later, the bottom in. Should anyone want to try this (as if there would be...), the bottom piece is a tight fit and one should put it without glue and then put some near the bottom/back...press it into position, then spread some glue on the middle of the compartment tray, press into place, and then the outer edge last. I wouldn't advise spreading glue all over that bottom piece and expecting to get it in without rubbing glue on the side pieces.

After drying, here it is. Not perfect, mind you. I can see the edge where it doesn't form along the curve at the bottom edge as well as I would have liked and if someone is interested, take note of that area if you decide to do it. The edge of the foam shows a little bit on the left and right edge but it really looks worse in the photo than in real life. Trust me. For example, notice how the flash illuminates the right "fat" edge but the left edge looks quite nice. It all looks good as long as it's not being inspected to death.

I keep a multi-purpose tool in there. A small flashlight, a pen, a "Swiss army knife", and a backup garage opener. I'm glad they don't rattle any more (at least against the hard bare plastic of the glove box as it came originally). I think that would have been a very small cost for Nissan to have installed to begin with and yet, have a nice touch.

Felt might be just as good an alternative. Thinner edge but it glues just as well. But, it can't be brushed out as easily. It "holds onto lint" much better.

And a BIG THANKS to all the people who piped in here and tried to help this old fool...

NEXT upgrade... gen 3 Stillen CAI arriving Thursday!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Slynky is offline   Reply With Quote