View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #53 (permalink)
daleks
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2011 Evo X MR
daleks will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW1479 View Post
Ok, I have read this thread all the way through, and now I must comment, coming from a modified EVO X MR to a Nismo 370Z.

First things first, ALL Evos are tuned like crap from the factory, very very rich. You can go straight from a dealer to a tuner, and within 1 hour have up to 50 more horsepower. No exhaust, no intake, just a tune.

I am a member of NTEC (North Texas Evo Club) and I can't remember not one car being stock. In fact I have never seen a stock Evo, unless its sitting on a dealers lot because the previous owner uninstallated all his go fast goodies and sold them.

Mods for the price - a stock EVO MR will dyno in the neighborhood of 240 whp (stock wtq I'm unsure of), I put a full turbo back exhaust, intake, and intercooling piping, with a COBB Race tune and made 335whp and 349wtq. Thats almost a 100whp horsepower increase. Below is the break down.

600.00 for tune (which included a COBB Acessport)
300.00 for upper intercooling pipe (AMS)
300.00 for lower intercooling pipe (AMS)
685.00 for CBE (AMS)
200.00 for test pipe (AMS)
460.00 for O2/downpipe (AMS)
400.00 for intake (AMS)

3000.00 Total on mods for 100whp gain. Thats 30 bucks per 1 horsepower gained. Now, I'm not sure of the whp numbers for mods on the Z , because I'm new to the forums, but it seems to me the cost of 1 horsepower for the Z is way more than the EVO X. Also, I used all AMS products on my EVO for their reputation and outstanding quality, but I bet I could have used cheaper products (just different companies who aren't so proud of their products) and get roughly the same result. I could have probably got the per 1 horsepower cost lowered to 20 bucks.

But the big kicker with the EVO X MR is.......the dual clutch tranny stock is roughly only good up to 350wtq. Once you pass that point, the tranny can start slipping wearing out the clutches thus burning up a 10k tranny. But tuners are slowly cracking the firewall of the trannys computer to help adjust the clamping force of the clutches (so they won't slip as easy or at all). Also, SSP as produced clutch packs which can hold 400 and 500 whp. But they are a b#$%^&*() to install, and they are not cheap.

Now I challange anyone here on these forums to spend 3000.00 bucks on their 370Z with just bolt ons and a tune (without a new clutch) and see if you can gain 100whp. From what limited research I have done through these forums, I have yet to see it. If you can, I'm all ears and I would like to see your mod list.

So you ask, why did I go get a Z, .........something different and I have ADD when it comes to cars. The Z has a long tradition (as with the EVO), and it is RWD (miss powersliding), and pretty much, why not. You only live once. Also, I'm tired of heavily modding cars, cause at some point, the car starts giving you problems, things tend to break, the car is in shop more than on the road, etc. I just want to install a nice sounding exhaust and intake, and be done with it. The Z is the perfect platform for me to do that.

To the OP, your comparing apples and oranges.
Yep, when you start with a factory turbo initial mods are cheaper. It's just a fact of life. Is there a conversion kit that's equivalent to getting the car up to FQ400 spec? Or is the only difference just the tune?