View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #52 (permalink)
gaveup
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 10 Nissan 370Z MB M6
gaveup has a reputation beyond reputegaveup has a reputation beyond reputegaveup has a reputation beyond reputegaveup has a reputation beyond reputegaveup has a reputation beyond reputegaveup has a reputation beyond reputegaveup has a reputation beyond reputegaveup has a reputation beyond reputegaveup has a reputation beyond reputegaveup has a reputation beyond reputegaveup has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW1479 View Post
Ok, I have read this thread all the way through, and now I must comment, coming from a modified EVO X MR to a Nismo 370Z.

First things first, ALL Evos are tuned like crap from the factory, very very rich. You can go straight from a dealer to a tuner, and within 1 hour have up to 50 more horsepower. No exhaust, no intake, just a tune.

I am a member of NTEC (North Texas Evo Club) and I can't remember not one car being stock. In fact I have never seen a stock Evo, unless its sitting on a dealers lot because the previous owner uninstallated all his go fast goodies and sold them.

Mods for the price - a stock EVO MR will dyno in the neighborhood of 240 whp (stock wtq I'm unsure of), I put a full turbo back exhaust, intake, and intercooling piping, with a COBB Race tune and made 335whp and 349wtq. Thats almost a 100whp horsepower increase. Below is the break down.

600.00 for tune (which included a COBB Acessport)
300.00 for upper intercooling pipe (AMS)
300.00 for lower intercooling pipe (AMS)
685.00 for CBE (AMS)
200.00 for test pipe (AMS)
460.00 for O2/downpipe (AMS)
400.00 for intake (AMS)

3000.00 Total on mods for 100whp gain. Thats 30 bucks per 1 horsepower gained. Now, I'm not sure of the whp numbers for mods on the Z , because I'm new to the forums, but it seems to me the cost of 1 horsepower for the Z is way more than the EVO X. Also, I used all AMS products on my EVO for their reputation and outstanding quality, but I bet I could have used cheaper products (just different companies who aren't so proud of their products) and get roughly the same result. I could have probably got the per 1 horsepower cost lowered to 20 bucks.

Now I challange anyone here on these forums to spend 3000.00 bucks on their 370Z with just bolt ons and a tune (without a new clutch) and see if you can gain 100whp. From what limited research I have done through these forums, I have yet to see it. If you can, I'm all ears and I would like to see your mod list.
Of course a turbo car will make better gains per mod than a NA car. I'm not certain why that even needs to be said. I had my old wrx (2007) go 12.7@106 with under $1000 worth of mods, it's plenty easy to get more power from turbo car. Even if it is using a stock turbo (and truth be told, the evo x does not have a little baby turbo like most).

Although, from what I am seeing these cars respond pretty well to mods and can hit near that 330whp mark you set with about the same amount of money invested.

I think all 3 cars are pretty nice, but when I was given the choice, I chose the Z. I wanted an actual 2 seater sports car instead of a sedan trying to be a sportscar. You see a Z, and you know it's a Z. You see an evo from far away and well "Hell, is that a lancer or evo?"...