View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
There's not a damn thing wrong with Meguiar's, you just have to choose the correct product for the job. For a novice, it's best to go with the stuff they sell at AutoZone and Wal-Mart so you don't chance rubbing through the clearcoat on edges. Definitely apply by hand.

It's the convenience factor for me. If I run out of product, I can drive 2 blocks to get some more rather than waiting a week to get some through the mail. At the end of the day, the only advantage a given product has over another is ease of use and effectiveness. Given enough effort, they will all get you the same end result.
I would have to disagree sir. Most of the in-store products are not very effective at all. You need the right polish & pad to remove swirls effectively. You can get some light swirls out by hand polishing & the right polish, but its gonna take a lot longer. A Porter Cable Random Orbit Polisher is your best bet no matter what quality brand you go with. It has adjustable settings for speed that alows you to control how aggressive you want to go on the clear coat. Since its not a true circular polisher, your chances of burning the paint is greatly reduced.
Machine Polishing

The Meguire's stuff is very good if you stick with the higher quality stuff. Unfortunately most of those products can only be ordered on-line. If you don't feel comfortable tackling this project, I suggest you go to a pro. When you remove swirls, you are in effect removing s tiny amount of clear coat, so I would be very careful especially on the soft Nissan paint.

Cmike2780 is offline   Reply With Quote