View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 07:20 AM   #57 (permalink)
Hi-Step'n370Z
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '10ZR S/B AT Tour NV
Hi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Step'n370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_U_later View Post
Well they found the problem, it was 2 sharp edges on the folding assembly causing the tear. In order to find the cause they has to cut into the top but the dealer stitched them up, man what an eye soar. Well the good news is that they will replace the top assembly and fabric. The bad news is that it will take a month to order the replacement parts from Japan. Well thats the latest from my top tearing saga. I have to say I am now really worried about the durability and design of the top and top assembly. I hope once this is repaired that the problem dosent come back after my warranty is up because the rep told me that the top assembly cost $13,000 not to mention labor and the fabric too, Im glad it is not coming out of my pocket. This is my first rag top and with how things are going may be my last.
The question now is; are those "two sharp edges" present on EVERY Roadster, or are they an assembly/manufacturing problem that only occurred on a few?

The first good news is that your problem will be taken care of under warranty. Glad to hear it Man.

The second good news is that now Nissan clearly knows about the problem and will correct that error in future production, and will cover the repair under warranty for the rest of the Roadster owners.

The $13,000.00 price tag seems high, that's 1/3 the total cost of the whole car!

IF a tear happens after warranty, there is a chance Nissan will still cover the repair because they know of the "two sharp edges," or, if we have to repair it at our expense, those edges could possibly be filed down/otherwise rendered harmless, leaving only the cost of the fabric and installation.

Too bad you didn't get the chance to take some pic's of those edges, maybe when they do the repair, you can take some pic's of those edges and post them here on the Forum so we all can see just what the heck is going on under the canvas. I know I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for posting the final diagnosis, and I am glad that your problem will soon be over with. I don't think that once the top is fixed you'll have any further tears because the reason for the tear will have been corrected. You should be able to operate the top worry free from now on. Besides, this IS a warranty repair, and if it happens again, they should still cover the next fix.
Hi-Step'n370Z is offline   Reply With Quote