View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
epod86
Base Member

Drives: 06 Mustang GT BK M5
epod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond repute

While I think the nissan navi is vastly superior to the Avic F series from par4bmw's video, the F is still a very capable unit. My only major qualm is the failing when it comes to frontage roads in the navigation software and the rather lackluster speed. I was spoiled with my car pc and iguidance 4 before installing the F90BT.

I highly recommend looking into AVIC411.com if you are considering this unit. In the hack/mod section are a number of very handy software hacks/buttons that i used to make the map screen more usable and mor functional. I also recommend one of the "thom's Knobs" you can find here. Make the volume knob much more usable. I have a black knurled one that looks great on the unit and improves the tactile feel immensely. I found the stock knob way to slippery and often had to make a very conscious effort to rotate the knob.

Also as a warning, if you plan to use the ipod/usb cable regularly, put the female cable end in the center console. On a cold startup, the device connected via usb has a tendency not to wake up correctly, and you need to unplug/replug it to wake the device up. This is especially the case with my current generation ipod nano i have in there.

edit: i meant to say center console, instead said 'glove compartment' which is where you really don't want it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knurled_knobs_copy_866.jpg (221.8 KB, 286 views)
epod86 is offline   Reply With Quote