View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #37 (permalink)
Junkman2008
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Junkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab83_750 View Post
Too bad I could not find the comparison test from, I believe, Consumer Report. They tested many wax project, ranging from the $3.00 PepBoys OTCs to the $100.00+ waxes.

The top performers were the cheapy ones -- products below $5.00 which could be bought at PepBoys.
The only test that I would believe is a test that I did myself or one that I had access to the behind the scenes information. Who knows if those test are skewed or not.

I'm not saying who's product is best as I don't have a clue. I haven't tested all of them. However, the example that I will give you is Meguiar's. They make a consumer line and a professional line. The consumer line is cheap and can be found anywhere. Their professional line (Mirror Glaze label) is only sold online or at their distributorships for a lot more money. If their consumer line is so good, why don't the professional detailers who use their more expensive Mirror Glaze products use the cheaper, more readily available stuff? The reason is because their Mirror Glaze label products are better, and you won't find them over the counter. That's the same with Zaino, Doo Doo Juice, Griot's, Adam's and a host of others. The guys with the good stuff are not going to place their stuff next to Nu Finish.

Some things like bread, dryer sheets and a host of other products are exactly the same as their more pricey competitors. Car batteries come to mind. The majority of car batteries are created by 3 manufacturers - Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls Industries. So your expensive Die Hard may be made by the same company as a crappy Duralast. This may also be true in the detailing arena but I can only speak for what I have used. When it comes to what I have seen first hand, I know that none of the OTC products that I have used can hold a candle to the professional stuff I have used. That's first hand knowledge, not something that I have read about. Thus, I speak only from experience, not opinion.

I will say this. If you go out and pay $1999.00 for a jar of wax, you are on crack!