View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
AP - Chris_B
Base Member

Drives: Many
AP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1600 View Post
I agree with you that race cars are entirely different story, but it is a total overkill for a street car that occasionally go to the track or just autox. Unless the car is heavily modded, the OE system with brake pads and fluids can easily survive a good session from an advanced driver. Obviously the more money you spent, the more miles and pad life you will get out of it. The question is, is it worth it? From a lap time point of view, a rotor will get you virtually zero.

I usually do 6 track events a year, I can tell you I have never cracked a rotor due to heat with the exception of the C6. I had to replace my first set on the 350Z after 2 years of tracking, they were eventually ruined by the HP+ I installed. This was after about 20 track days and 45K street miles. (Heck, I even cracked a brake line before rotors) On the C6, I had small surface cracks near the holes on the crossdrilled rotors. None of them were through the rotors, they were just surface cracks. I took care of the problem by simply getting a new set that have been cryo-treated. It lasted me enough for another 10 track days. My 370 came back home after 2.5 days of tracking, rotor shows no significant wear and no grooves.
Both of our viewpoints are actually pretty compatible. You are speaking from more to one end of the spectrum as far as driver style is concerned, and we deal with drivers from all over the spectrum. The fundamental truth is that brake upgrades are bolted to the car, but are made for the driver. Some find little benefit for the cost, while others claim it was the best upgrade they ever did to their car. So to say "it is a waste of money" could be true in one person's case, but entirely the opposite for many others. YMMV.

Chris
AP - Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote