View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #27 (permalink)
AP - Chris_B
Base Member

Drives: Many
AP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1600 View Post
Your car doesn't stop any quicker by changing just rotors unless your brakes are over its operating temperature. In the case of the Z and most relatively stock vehicle, you won't go over that by changing pads and fluids (not in the short time we can be out anyway). If you are so intend on running the stock pads, you MIGHT be able to get away by using tons of ducts and rotors. The question is, is it worth it?

Most amateur track sessions are less than 20-25 minutes long, you are more likely to hit traffic before you get 20 minutes of uninterrupted driving. I don't know what serious enthusiasts you are talking about, but most NASA TT drivers in the production classes run on relatively stock hardware with the exception of race pads (unless you have a crappy car). Heck, I have won a Redline Time Attack on smaller brakes than what I have in the 370. All you need is one hotlap, not twenty slow ones in most amateur track days. Obviously it isn't my money, but just a thought.

My 370z generated over 1.2G on the stock hardware with just pads. OEM pads with fancy rotors won't do much more than that. Heck even if it does, it wont be for long anyway.

my rotors were 600f after pulling off track, it got up to 1500, but it stabilize around 1300 to 1450
The point being made is consistency and control across ALL temperatures from cold to hot. The best brake systems provide the driver with total confidence under braking when pushing for that extra 50 feet before hitting the binders. You should be able to actually feel what is going on at the tires with your foot. One pro driver I have worked with described it as "making love to the brake pedal." With the car set up to his liking, he could pass any other Indycar driver under braking on road courses. OE systems aren't typically good bed partners for that sort of activity!

Braking distances are limited by available tire traction (provided the front/rear bias is optimized, which is not the case for the OE system) and track conditions. The most effective brake systems will make adjustments to brake bias to get more out of the tires than the OE system is set up to do.

Time Attack is a different animal as only a few laps count -- kind of like qualifying without the fun of a race day! If you were peaking at 1500°F during a T/A, I would guess you were probably starting to crack OE rotors. Cool down laps are extremely important when running those temps on stock equipment.

Chris
AP - Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote