View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
TheWeatherman
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2009 370Z 6MTw/Sport
TheWeatherman is on a distinguished road

You know, I found this to be a very interesting post, because I'm surprised that more people haven't talked about this situation.

I want some of you to think back, or find someone with a 350Z, '08 and older FX35, and '07 and older G35 coupe. They all had one thing in common. The exhaust. Same headers and muffler, but I think the FX had longer tubes running back. (Not positive.)

Nissan/Infiniti touted/bragged about the tuning of the exhaust system in a few of the ads of these cars. It's all about the sequence of each individual cylinder's combustion process coming out of the exhaust system. Each firing comes out as it's own pop. This creates a frequency. You can make so many different sounds from an exhaust coming from the same engine.

I find it mildly disappointing that Nissan/Infiniti stopped making their systems like this, because I loved the sound of the older cars. These sound like V6's to me now. Aftermarket tuners, with the right headers and catbacks, can bring this sound back, but it takes a heck of a lot of precision engineering which it seems most don't want to expend.

The prime example of this precision tuning is now most Ferraris and the Lexus LF-A. Whoever made that Mercedes V12 exhaust understood this concept as well. Until someone puts in this much time, math, and engineering, our cars will now still sound like V6's. The older Nissan/Infinitis really did not.

Thanks for the vid. It stirred up some feelings over here on this subject. My old '04 FX35 sounded 50 times better than my new FX and Z. (BTW, thanks to all the consumer review and car magazines that b*tched about the exhaust on those older cars. It really payed off for us. Whiney little babies.)
TheWeatherman is offline   Reply With Quote