View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #161 (permalink)
rj45
Base Member

Drives: 40th Anniversary Z
rj45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportConvert View Post
I am curious to see about the 2011 transmissions in the 'vettes.

Further, the sqeaks I did hear came from the tops in the 'vettes I rode in (C5 removable top/ C6 'vert). I am curious if the Z06 is quieter. I know it isn't much stiffer (25Hz vs. 24Hz for a coupe w/roof in place), but the roof being solid, it CAN'T sqeak.

If the Z06 is quieter and the 2011 Tremec solves the issue. Well, the note on a 1LZ Z06 vs. a 370Z loaded out is 1 shift a month overtime for me. I'd do it! Those are my gripes, transmission and rattles. Curious to see how they are addressed for '11.
My '06 C6 Z06 was quiet. The fixed roof did not creak at all. Considering the mediocre interior materials, I was surprised the car was so rattle-free. I had the car for a year and a half and put around 6500 miles on it...not exactly well used, but it was a good car while I had it.

The Z06's chassis feels reasonably solid, but it doesn't have that billet-solid feel of a Porsche. For example, when traversing inclines you can feel a bit of initial flex in the Corvette's chassis. In comparison, the 370 feels near Porsche-solid...quite impressive, IMO. That's how the Corvette should feel. I understand they want to keep the car's weight down, but a bit more chassis bracing would go a long way toward providing that high-quality solid feel.

My transmission shifted well, no problems with 2nd gear grinding, even when cold. However, 2008 Z06s got the newer trans and some of them have a 2nd gear grind until warmed-up.

Last edited by rj45; 08-29-2010 at 08:27 AM.
rj45 is offline   Reply With Quote