View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #426 (permalink)
spearfish25
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: to work
spearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond reputespearfish25 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to spearfish25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
Edit: also, given the variations in oil temp behavior I've seen on different drives in different climate conditions, I think climate differences are playing a bigger role in this than I would have initially guessed.
Agreed. Next I'd like to see the relationship between ambient temperature and oil temperature. I'm curious to know if it's linear. e.g. if my car hits 240 in 70F weather, would I be at 260 with the same driving in 90F weather and 280 if it's 110F outside?

Given that the water temps never change on the gauge, the oil temperature variations seem to be indicative of the car's dependence on airflow around the engine. It would be interesting to know if a ventilated hood and/or more powerful radiator fans would make a difference just as the oil cooler does.