View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #424 (permalink)
travisjb
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: VIR
travisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
That final graph of 7AT vs 6MT only compares temperature and transmission. There are an untold number of variables not accounted for in that comparison that makes a generalized assumption of "the 6MT overheats more than the 7AT" incorrect. For example, 6MT owners may be the vast majority of the cohort who tracks their cars, they may be confined to a geographic location that has a warmer climate, etc etc.

All you can say is that, as a whole, 6MT owners have noted higher temperatures than 7AT owners. However, the results in NO WAY imply that under the same conditions, with the same driver, at the same RPMs, the 6MT runs hotter.

With regard to the transmission plumbing through the radiator of the 7AT, I don't know how that would provide any form of oil cooling for the engine.
Not sure why you would think that the distribution of AT owners geographically would be any different than the distribution of MT owners geographically... my guess is that outside the pattern of more ATs in the US vs abroad, the distribution within the US (hotter areas vs not) would be similar for AT v MT.

I'm going to pull the excel spreadsheet with all the variables in the survey, and if you're curious you can go in and analyze. It includes variables for usage, ambient temperatures, transmission, miles on the car, and of course overheating patterns.