View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
awshepard
Base Member

Drives: 99 Honda Prelude AT
awshepard is on a distinguished road
Default Homestretch negotiations?

(after-remark: sorry, long post...)Hopefully I can get a couple pointers as I'm getting towards the last phases of discussions with dealers. I've done my test drive (loved it!), and my research (not quite as fun). Here's what I've got:

Looking for white or graphite color, 2010, MT with sport package, floor mats and trunk mat, and splash guards. Invoice on all of that is $32,153 (as far as I can tell - if I'm mistaken, please feel free to correct me).

Using USAA's car-buying service, which links through TMV, I found a dealer in VA offering $1200 below invoice on the 370z (with any options), and with USAA's deal, they don't charge freight. They do, however, have a higher processing fee, and an "appearance package" fee. This dealer won't do an inventory exchange, so they might not have exactly what I'm looking for.

Another dealer (in MD, and closer to me) was offering $300 below invoice, charges freight, and has a lower processing fee. This dealer will do an inventory exchange within about a 300 mile radius, so I'm much more likely to find exactly what I want, but they won't do the USAA deal. In talking with the GM there, I mentioned the $1200 below invoice and no freight offer and asked if he could match or beat it, and he said he could - I guess through some financial wizardry. This dealer also offers free oil changes for 3 years, and free unlimited car washes - not deal breakers, but definitely nice perks.

I tried to run through all the numbers and taxes and fees, and I think the VA offer will come in around 33,5 OTD, whereas MD will come in around 34,4 OTD.

Granted, I have nothing in writing yet from either place, and I'm SURE they want to let me sit inside and smell the interior again, then get me to the deal table while I'm weak, but a couple questions:

- Is $1200 below invoice on 2010's a good deal at this point?
- If $1200 below invoice gives a sale price of $30,9, does $33,5 OTD sound about right/reasonable?
- Would it be worth it to wait for 2011's to be released, and then try to find my Z among the 2010's still floating around (which might not happen?).
- Am I risking getting my quasi-bluff called, or are GM's more concerned about moving cars than calling bluffs?
- Is it worth pushing this dealer harder for better prices, when if I buy from them, I'll be seeing them every couple weeks for car washes and/or every 3 months for oil changes?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Last edited by awshepard; 08-26-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: longer than intended
awshepard is offline   Reply With Quote