View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 07:24 AM   #413 (permalink)
rackley
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z Sport-Yellow
rackley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
Well, we'll have to see how this all plays out. There are a lot of factors that go into this, and it's hard for me to trust the exact conditions under which other cars are reaching the stated temps based on a post here (no offense to other oil temp reporters intended). I'm mostly basing my ever-evolving opinion of this issue on my own experiences.

It takes me a fair amount of effort to hit 250, I haven't even done so in a while. The kind of driving I do to reach 250-ish on a public road, while it can be done without technically violating any laws, is well outside the usual casual driving experience. When I blend in with traffic and drive reasonably normally, depending on the weather I tend to stabilize somewhere around 210-225, with 10-15 degree spikes up in temp if I mess around a bit like any person driving a sporty car occasionally would.

Then again, I still haven't gotten a good week of truly hotter temps to test in around here, the weather has been pretty mild relatively speaking. I still want a cooler regardless because I'm not a normal driver, and even if this issue turns out as best as it possibly can, I know it's going to affect me regularly in the summer. I'm not, however, yet convinced that the sky is falling and that this is a critical design flaw worthy of a recall.
That's because you have an AT car. Most or all of the evidence points to the 7AT cars not having the overheating problem nearly as bad as the MT cars. My buddy here on base has a 7AT and he cruises at 200*F and rarely hits 220 even with hard driving. My bottom oil temp is 220 and I go up from there to 250 before I pull over for fear of melting the engine.

7ATs do not seem to have the overheating problem nearly as bad. So because you have a 7AT without an overheating problem does not invalidate the experiences of everyone else with MTs who are overheating.