View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian370z View Post
Really cool Jordo, this should be extremely interesting to see the final results. Do you think the bottle neck of the OEM intake is from the section from the box to the MAP then? From a practicality perspective, how would this be any better than throwing in a K&N panel filter?
No, I think the major "bottleneck" are the panel filters themselves. Cone filters just tend to flow air better than panel filters.

It's possible that some smooth intake tubes would help flow a bit too (and there is a mysterious resonator box that may or may not affect flow), but really, the goal here was just to have some better filters mounted, while maintaining proper metering of fuel and maintaining protection from heat.

As soon as you start monkeying with the location of the MAF snesor, bends in the tubing, diameter of the tubing, etc. you can run into problems with meauring air mass and thus affect the proper metering of fuel.

Modshack took this into account, and made a very slight variation (which apparently didn't adversely affect driveability) but it is unclear as to whether this improved power as he hasn't dynoed, at least to the best of my knowledge.

Of course, if you have tuning capability, you can recalibrate things or make corrections, but I can't do that yet, so I want to keep the general set-up as OEM as possible while improving flow as much as I can

Now whether or not this makes a positive difference all remains to be seen... dynos in due course.

Last edited by Jordo!; 10-06-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote