Thread: RPM Launch?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
mspeasl
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Red M6 Sport/Touring
mspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Clutch slipping at launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSlicks View Post
Safest yes, but also slowest. Fastest is slipping the clutch at 2500-3000 rpm on the verge of wheelspin, puts a beating on the clutch long term though.

At auto-x I don't care about 60ft times so I usually just dump the clutch at around 3000 rpm and break the tires loose, feathering the gas to control wheelspin until it hooks up.
Question: About 45 years ago (before good drag tires), we learned to launch a car at about 3000 RPM's using half clutch and maintaining a constant steady RPM level until the tires griped. At that point full clutch and WOT were initiated. When I first got my 350 in August of 02 I went out to my favorite location to see how the car ran out of the hole. I launched the car like I have for all of the years and O’crap…………. The car left great and hard, but the clutch when attempting to engage it completely, it wouldn’t engage all of the way!!! The clutch was just slipping and the car was not gaining speed like it should. That was the last time I attempted to drag race the car from a standing start. Now almost 7 years later I have a new 370. I head out to my favorite location again to see how this car runs out of the hole. It’s O’crap all over again. What gives? Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks