View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
Junkman2008
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Junkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post

looks like someone got his panties all mangled up. the 400grit is to remove the rust. then clean off the area with rubbing alcohol. if you have primer, that's great, you can take a tooth pick with the tip flattened and apply. then take your touchup paint, new toothpick with the tip flattened and apply several coats until it is at the surrounding paint layer. there's touchup applicators you can get online too, but not needed.

then dry 2 weeks. if you choose to do so, take 2000grit or higher (i have a 3000grit sanding block) and wetsand until flat. polish. then wax. for most people they probably wont do this wetsanding step.

langka is good, but it's not perfect either.
Lankga & Dr. Colorchip are way better solutions than your suggestion.

400 grit sandpaper is WAY overkill for this situation. No one is getting their "panties in a bunch", I just hate to see misinformation given out that would create a necessity to repaint a panel when a novice screws up. My rule of thumb is to never give out advice that I wouldn't let that person try on MY own car.

My father painted cars for 40 years before the fumes darn near killed him. I was at his body shop night and day for years when I wasn't in school. This just happens to be a little something that I'm familiar with.