View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #414 (permalink)
daleks
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2011 Evo X MR
daleks will become famous soon enough

FWIW, I changed the oil on my NISMO last Friday. Here are a couple things I did different than in the DIY.

1. Starter Ramps--I got a 6' section of 2x12 from a lumber store, cut it in half and then put 45 degree miter cuts along one edge (the 12" side) for each half. I pulled the front onto those and then slid my low-profile jack up to the front cross member jack point. I probably could've gotten away without the mitre cut, but the tires grabbed right away on the wood and nothing slid.

2. Jack Stands vs. Ramps--Rather than jacks or ramps I purchased a single set of 12" 2-piece Race Ramps wheel cribs (RR-WC-12-2). This gave me four 6" halves that each have a lip that cups the wheel when underneath. This gave me 6" of lift at all four corners.

3. Bolts--I removed only the 4 bolts on the rear of the underbody tray and used two bungee cords to keep the flap out of the way. Worked like a charm.

The RR cribs worked great. There is still play in the suspension, but the cribs didn't compress at all when the tires were down. Also, when the front tires were on cribs and I went to jack up the rear the front tires didn't move forward in the cup. If you're very low and don't want to use jack stands this is an alternative.

Oh, and don't even try getting the OEM filter off by hand. Just have a removal tool ready before you start.
daleks is offline   Reply With Quote