View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
ARFCOM
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370Z Red 6 spd
ARFCOM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
The ECU doesn't really "decrease" the engine output power. But yes, the lower the temperature that the engine is running (to a point), the higher the horse power (output). I know with my dyno results, they are probably a little skewed to the high side. I didn't realize at the time; that I should have closed the hood and not let the heat escape while doing my pulls.
I'm talking about OIL TEMPERATURE read by the ECU being used as a basis for limiting engine power output in some way.

I'm not talking about intake air temperature (IAT) or engine coolant temperature (ECT). Yes, lower IATs will generate more power & vice versa, and there's a range of optimum ECTs too.

I guess what I'm trying to get at, is that we have people on this site stating that when engine oil temperature rises above a certain point, that the ECU will start limiting power output in order to protect the engine. What I'm trying to find out is if there's any documented proof (such as dyno runs at different oil temperatures??) to back those claims up?
ARFCOM is offline   Reply With Quote