View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #24 (permalink)
Zsteve
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: the 2 balled club
Zsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaveup View Post
Correct, but is it possible the placement of their mafs cause the car to run leaner? If so, that alone would provide a higher gain wouldn't it?
This and the fact that the MAF tube is slightly larger too does make the car run lean which gives it most of its gain, so if the MAF on a stock intake was slightly larger too it would do the same. The long tube intakes location themselves do little to improve gains as the stock intake is a true enclosed CAI, its the MAF and its size. Any open intake regardless of its location is going to get heat. If you stand by the side of a Z while its running you will feel the heat from the engine like crazy so an open intake a foot further away isnt going to keep IATs down but a couple of degrees. My stock intake with K&N drop ins IATs are the same as the long tubes IATs. I measured it with my COBB tuning device. If I remember right (its been awhile since I did this) my IATs were about 7-8 degrees above ambiant when driving. And were sucking in 400 G/S, and since its a dual intake, I think thats 400 G/S per intake but not sure.