View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #1445 (permalink)
Phimosis
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2013 911 4S
Phimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_dust View Post
ok so looking back to the last 10 or so pages on the forum, from what i can gather:

RCZ - does not have any issues at all; his kit was installed and tune by HPLogic and using the old pulley, which supposedly was hitting higher than 8 psi
Weiboy - car is running great after getting new tune and pulley; however, dyno still pending and do not know his car's hp/trq numbers
wifedrivenz - initially had a leak but was fixed with stillen's help; dyno still pending and do not know his car's hp/trq; car is running great but seem rich
Tomnavone - issues w/ tune and car was suggest not to be driven; waiting for stillen to fix tune
LateralG'z - car is running great (installed and tuned by FSP) but running lower than expected hp/tq so they are trying to get old pulley just like RCZ's
G37mobbin - 2 months down in the garage and counting
Osiris - 2 months down in the garage this saturday
Phimosis - car is at stillen and uprev is fixing stillen's tune
willtangclan - kit appears to be running ok; had issues where every 1000km it throws a misfire or something code and only allows car to rev a 1K

i did not go all the way back pass 15 pages but i hope there are more of the customers who suposedly has no issues with the kit to post their experience in the forums so ppl start feeling better on buying this kit...
Great summary!
I have a few comments about others cars:

RCZ: he's got the small pulley and a custom tune that is not too rich or too much ignition retard. He's getting exactly what Stillen advertised in their press release, with a few ponies extra for the headers and cats. BTW, how many psi of boost do you get?

Weiboy: Did he get the small pulley? I know they gave him the new tune and it solved the driveability problems, but didn't know he's got the small pulley. If he does, let's see the dyno!

WifedrivenZ: Says it smells rich. Well, the too rich a/f ratio is part of what is killing power. It can also kill your catalyitic convertors and won't pass CARB. He's happy with the tune, but when I had the same tune, but I was unhappy with it because the midrange is a lot weaker than what is advertised in Stillen's press release and I wanted to get what I had paid for.

Tomnavone: Has the same too rich tune with the big pulley, if I'm not mistaken. I didn't want to get into what was said between him and Stillen, but I think there may be a little confusion. If they give you a new tune, it will be leaner and cleaner, with better power delivery, but that will actually run hotter and is less safe, rather than more safe than what you have now. I know you asked, "can this tune damage my engine?" and their answer was "possibly", but the better question is "which is more likley to damage my engine, this tune or the new one you're going to send me?" Even with the "perfect" tune, you're still at risk of damaging your engine when you put 8 psi of boost into an 11:1 compression engine. It's like asking, "Which steroids are safer for me to take, and what is the max dose I can take before it kills me?"

LateralG: Privately tuned for max power, but with big pulley. There's just no way to get the numbers that Stillen's "7.9 psi press release" car has unless you get the small pulley. How much boost does the small pulley really make?

G37mobbin/osiris: I just cry silently when I think about them.

Me: My car was at Stillen for 3 weeks initially, but when I got it back, it had trouble starting, ran too rich, would bog with too much throttle and the midrange was off of Stillen's press release numbers by more than 50 lb/ft of torque. I drove it for a few weeks, but put maybe 200 miles on it because it was no longer fun to drive like my Z with bolt ons. It's been back at Stillen for 4 more weeks. The tuners from uprev have been hammering out the bugs over the last 4 days. Kyle was supposed to have a meeting with them last night to get the scoop, but that didn't happen, so it looks like I'll be rolling into next week (8 weeks total) without my Z.

Willtangclan: Nooo! I would be scared. What the heck is causing the code? is it detonating?

Anyways, I'll be back with more info on my car next week...... It better be next week! lol.

Last edited by Phimosis; 08-20-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Phimosis is offline   Reply With Quote