View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #45 (permalink)
Junkman2008
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Junkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaveup View Post
Actually, you are incorrect. That OTC megs Ultimate Compound is pretty good for what it is. Is it 105? No. But it's as close as you're going to get when buying a product OTC.
You and I are at two different levels of paint correction. If OTC products satisfy you, then great. I on the other hand choose to use a professional grade product and my results reflect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaveup View Post
If you're using a PC and just working on your car, a paint gauge is not needed.

When polishing your car using a PC you are taking VERY VERY VERY little of the clearcoat off (talking microns here). You really only NEED a paint gauge if you are attempting to wetsand or using a rotary with a decently aggressive pad/polish combo.
Again, you are looking at this from an amateur standpoint. Using a PC on a setting of 5 with 9-14 pounds of pressure in combination with a normal to light cutting polish and pad will not require a paint thickness gauge. Using a PC on a setting of 6 with massive pressure and a yellow pad containing 3M super duty cutting compound is another animal. It totally depends on your setup with the PC as to how dangerous or lenient it will be. Also, it is smart to know exactly how much clear AND paint is on the car before you get wicked aggressive with it. I more than cover these topics in my many video series. You should take a look at them.