View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zat_Zuma
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2017 Touring auto
Zat_Zuma is a glorious beacon of lightZat_Zuma is a glorious beacon of lightZat_Zuma is a glorious beacon of lightZat_Zuma is a glorious beacon of lightZat_Zuma is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm great minds think alike?

I too, was installing my Z1 oil cooler (25 row) yesterday.

Originally Posted by Pharmacist
Note that the left hose was much easier to route behind the vertical metal brace. The front of that brace curves forward and is too thick. I tried routing the hose in front of it but it was bent at an awkward angle. The hoses are not the same length. One is much longer than the other. In fact, it's so long that even after fitting it to the far end of the cooler core, there is still a lot of slack in the hose and it is dangling right behind the power steering cooler.

I believe the longer house is to accommodate the length of the oil cooler as the hose from the drivers side as to travel further to the thermostatic plate.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Pharmacist
Also note that for whatever weird reason, one of the fittings on the shorter hose is bent much sharper than a right angle. It is the one attached to the left side of the core in the above pic. It was practically impossible to attach this terminal to the sandwich plate since the sharp bend caused clearance issues with the sway bar and the oil temp and pressure sensors. I ended up removing the hose and flipping it around so that the sharply bent terminal fit onto the cooler core instead. I have no idea if this terminal was bent like this for a reason or if it was a manufacturing glitch. It just doesn't seem to serve any purpose and just caused a headache for me.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I too had to flip the oil line with the 135 degree fitting to the oil cooler as the fitting didn't fit well on the thermostat plate for the oil filter. But it did fit originally on the plate but I didn't like the orientation of the lines and changed the orientation and that required a line swap. I placed the lines entering the thermostatic plate upwards towards the motor and motor mount with plenty of clearance on the sway bar. The lines enter the plate just by the alternator. Believe or not, there is just enough room. I'll have to take a picture today.

I wound up routing the lines under the impact bar, beside the washer fluid bottle and found space between the frame and fender. I only had to trim a little material in that area and cut one of the thin plastic panels to make room for the lines. Protecting the lines with rubber hoses will be required.

The install instructions from Z1 are lacking. I installed the upper support bracket on the backwards but it still works. Took a long break after that one. Not one mention of the support bracket in the instructions. Plus these 10 AN hoses are a bitch to maneuver and handle in this install.

I like the idea of the electrical looms as today is wrapping the oil cooler lines to protect everything. Some areas of my install will require a little more protection and I will using some rubber hose in those areas.

I didn't mean to hijack your DIY thread but hopefully offered some more feedback on your install. Actually, I really could have used this DIY yesterday afternoon to help me out