View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Billy830
Base Member

Drives: 370Z Mag Black 6sp m
Billy830 is on a distinguished road
Default My First Day ever at a Track

I went to Palm Beach International Raceway Sunday August 15.
I gained new found respect for guys who can drive these courses. I am 64 years young and found out quick that it is nothing like the street. My instructor, Sebastien was cool, calm and collected tru-out the whole ordeal mistake after mistake. I finally caught on, though I had a hard time rolling my foot over to blip it but got the hang of it after a while. I was able to get up to 120+ on the back straight (Sebastien 130+). It started to rain as usual in South Florida this time of year and thought that track time was over but my instructor wanted me to go out again so we went out on a wet track and still raining. Things went okay for the first few laps. Water was building on the track and I had slowed it down a bit. Couple of times I could feel the back end break away as I was comming down the back straight 80-90 mph lifted on gas a little and it settled down. A couple laps later I picked the wrong line on the back straight.
Should have been to the left a little more, felt the backend start to loosen and before I could let up a little I went for a wild ride. The car did a 180 right looking at on comming cars, did a 180 left caught a little grass on drivers side and came to a stop pointing in the right direction. No skid marks on track or grass but left them else where. I am going to leave the track driving to you young guys who have had plenty of seat time and I'll watch.

Oil temps stayed at 230 with oil cooler. Air temp 94 degrees, track temp 125.
Lost my clutch due to high temps. Need to wrap those lines and change fluids. That was my only issue mechanical all day. Changed oem pads to EBC yellow and the bite was excellent all day.
Driving on the track takes a lot of mental focus and agility along with a kind of smooth dance with your feet. Brake, gas and clutch Samba.
Need less to say I was burnt out at the end of the day.

Mag Black, 6 spd m with short shifter, CAI, Oil cooler 25 row, Invidia Ehaust, Hotchkis Antisway bars second hole, EBC brake pads, Osirus Tuned.

Last edited by Billy830; 08-17-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: add photo
Billy830 is offline   Reply With Quote