Thread: Rubbing Alcohol
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
AdamsPolishes
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: 2009 Avalanche
AdamsPolishes has a spectacular aura aboutAdamsPolishes has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachZTT View Post
I am not advocating this, just passing on information that was given to me. I have not researched it!

The installer of my UltraShield told me to keep a small spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber towel in the car to remove bird droppings from the paint as quickly as possible. They use a 33% mix with water. They mix their own. I think most over the counter alcohol is about 25% by volume. He claimed it would not damage your clear coat.

Love to hear some input.

Let the debate begin...
IPA won't harm the clear coat, but it can dry out trim so keep it away from any rubber, plastic, or vinyl. Its a handy tool to have if you need to strip a panel down for correction. Also, good for removing hardened tree sap if you happen to get some on the finish. Keep in mind using it anywhere on the paint it will remove any wax/sealant so you need to put protection back down again after using it.

I wouldn't advocate its use as a bird dropping remover as it has no lubrication... A quick detail spray is a far better choice for removing bird droppings in a hurry. It will wet the contamination and lubricate, making it much safer for removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
As said already, don't bother with the alcohol unless there is still physically gunk on your paint. If you have just a surface blemish, use a good wax or polish and some elbow grease and it should look perfect!
Bingo!

AdamsPolishes is offline   Reply With Quote