View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
LinPark
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
LinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to LinPark Send a message via Skype™ to LinPark

8/14/2010

Finished my first oil change on the car just before the 1,200 mile mark - went with the Purolator PureOne PL14610 ordered from Amazon (pack of 2 was about $12), an SS250 FilterMag (from eBay), the Project Kics magnetic drain plug (from Evasive Motorsports), and 6 quarts of Nissan Ester oil (from eBay).

I tried to remove just the 4 bolts and fold back the underside fascia but I just couldn't get the oil filter off. I removed the entire plastic protector and found it much easier to do the work - this is quite a few bolts and clips but it really comes off easy and goes back on just as easy. I had the car up on stands but think you could probably do this entire project with just the front passenger side jacked up and supported. I think the most difficult piece was getting the factory installed oil filter off - they really seem to torque that thing on - luckily I had bought one of those special wrenches at AutoZone that uses a piece of rubber to wrap around and grip the thing.

I think this is a great first project for someone looking to bond more closely with his/her car - in total it took me about 4 hours but I work really slow (that includes cooking my lunch ). You get to see quite a few cool things about the car while you are up under there - I recently put a new Master/Slave Clutch unit on my '78 280Z and actually had a chuckle when I saw the brake lines under the '10 370Z look almost identical - 32 years separate them and yet some things are still the same.

Thanks to AK for his DIY post that convinced me to do this myself - I'll be switching to Redline synthetic about 2,000 miles from now and will start using the Blackstone Lab to analyze things.

Here are some pics from the project:

Now that phase 1 of the audio is done and the oil is changed, I'm thinking H&R 15/20 spacers will be my next project (which should make wheee! more than happy at last ).
LinPark is offline   Reply With Quote