View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #215 (permalink)
Jeffblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Tam I am View Post
Sorry to hear about the theft. Bring back horse whipping I say.
My buddy and I are at odds with our driveways. I have automatic lights to deter crime while he thinks it gives crooks light to work in. Were your thieves working in the dark or light?
between 2 and 7 am.

I understand WARMANDSCI's point about not wanting wheel locks, and its definitely valid. Fortunately, i was lucky in that my car was nicely set on bricks. however, others aren't so "lucky." these people will just leave your car on rotors. if your car tips over once they have your wheels, they could really care less. and my feeling is, my car is a lot more likely to be damaged, or even further harvested once its on a set of bricks.

there's 2 different types of criminals we're talking about. Theives are motivated by money. They want your stuff so they can sell it to buy things. If theres no money in it for them, they could care less. they take the risk of getting caught in exchange for the opportunity to make a quick buck. a thief actually appreciates the monetary value of something enough to take it, in order to benefit themselves

Vandals, are motivated by wanting to destroy things. They take the risk of getting caught in exchange for the joy they get out of destroying the property of others. a vandal has no appreciation for anything of monetary value, so instead of trying to take any of it, they just ruin it.

although i am somewhat concerned with someone vandalizing my car, i am much more concerned with someone trying to steal it/steal parts from it, because their is an incentive beyond just getting your jollies out of ruining other people's property, and that incentive is $$$$. the fact of the matter is, i take the risk of destroying my car every time i drive it, and thats something i have accepted. it could be damaged by an accident, a tree, or someone driving into me, and although these are accidents, they have the same result of a vandal. my car is damaged. thats why i have insurance. by driving a car, or any vehicle, i accept that it can be damaged, and whether that is on purpose or by accident, it can happen. i DO NOT, however, accept that the vehicle i own, should be stolen from me, or ransacked for parts, including its wheels.

sorry for rambling, but long story short: a car can be damaged or destroyed just during regular expected use. a car would not wind up on blocks, stripped, through any type of normal use. so, i am more concerned about theives than vandals because stealing gets you money, vandalism doesn't, and money and drugs are what most criminals want
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote