View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
NYBladeZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Lotus Exige S
NYBladeZ has a spectacular aura aboutNYBladeZ has a spectacular aura about
Default I want a built shortblock but....

information is hard to come by. Of course I want to do the project in stages. I'm hoping to start the project around November/December. I've researched all over the web and I've checked out many 350z engine builds.

Right now I'm looking to keep it N/A and just build the shortblock. I plan on going F.I. after law school but I love an N/A motor. So I have a few questions.

Can I build the shortblock and then do the heads say 6 months later? I don't drive the car often so I wouldn't mind building the block and then the heads, I can be patient and rather have it done properly in stages.

I am shooting for 12.5:1 compression, any idea what kind of #'s I'd be looking at the wheels? My euro mechanic built his e46 M3 motor. He put down 340whp and redlines to 8500, his car is a monster and he's always in the powerband. With added displacement I'm sure a built VQ37 would put out similar if not greater numbers.

This is an introductory research attempt. If you have negative comments like just go S/C right now, clearly your missing the picture and didn't read the thread. Someone has to build a shortblock and I wouldn't mind being the first, any and all info appreciated.

Added note, I live literally down the block from Vinny Ten, a well known builder of 350z's on the Island so I might not even need to outsource. Still before I go knocking on his door I need to be informed so let the discussion begin.