Thread: Skip a gear?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #39 (permalink)
terbo
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z PW M6
terbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dembflyr View Post
Well when I do this my transmission grinds really bad. One dealer says "Well yeah, because you're not supposed to do that". They are refusing to go any further with it.
I have called another dealer and explained what is happening and they agree with me that while it may not be the norm to skip it should not grind.

I have been driving manual transmission cars for 20 years and have never had a problem doing this.

I am out of town so a friend is going to pick up my car and bring it to the other dealer.

The service manager tried to tell me that the 370z transmission is a whole different animal because of the syncro-rev match.
I had this exact issue. I took the car in and told them that. They responded with the same nonsense about not skipping gears. I hit them with "I've got a degree in mechanical engineering, I know what the hell I'm talking about" card. They took it for a drive and a week later I had a new transmission installed.

As for skipping them now, I still do. Sometimes I'll take off in 2nd, go to 4th, then to 6th, usually when I'm feeling real lazy.
terbo is offline   Reply With Quote