Thread: Short shifter
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
sid1577
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z CY M6
sid1577 is on a distinguished road

To answer the question about the tools needed for the disassembly/install - two hands, 10mm socket/wrench, torque wrench, hammer or good rubber mallet to remove the stock shifter from the socket and install the new shifter into the oem socket (TWM recommends a vise to set the assembly into to knock the stock shifter out of the socket), needle nose pliers, phillips head screwdriver to remove console screws, white lithium grease, a lift or floor jack to access the shift rod to shift linkage connection. I am assuming that you have the shift knob off already. If not, good luck on removing it as the posts about loctite are true.
Does it feel more notchy? It does require more effort than the stock shifter as the pivot point changes. And be prepared to drive a bit to get used to how quickly you go from gear to gear. I would not call it notchy, but a more direct connection.
As far as the installation process - I could probably do the install a second time in less than an hour. The old learning curve kicked in on my first attempt. I had more difficulty reinstalling the rubber boot on the shift linkage/shift rod due to having to use a floor jack/jack stands to access under the car - God only gave me one elbow for each arm).
Bottom line - with basic tools and basic mechanical ability, the whole process is quite easy. The kit is complete and the instructions are fairly accurate - be sure to read thoroughly and look at the photos and notes for the different models before tearing into it.

Regards,
David
sid1577 is offline   Reply With Quote