View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
Robert_Nash
Track Member

Drives: '14 Q60IPL/'14Armada
Robert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIZMOZ View Post
IMHO, running a event like ZCON is a huge task and you do it for free while you are doing your own full time job itself. This is no easy task. Yes there should be complaints to let them know what they did wrong, but IMHO, if you have never run one, you can't really speak yourself. As we ran the 09 one, and it was HARD, and it took up a years time of our life. Would I do it again, NO. Never will. But was it something we were appreciated for, hell yeah!..

There will always been people unhappy every year. You won't fix that. My only issue is that this years convention should have looked at some of the stuff we did for ours and used it. But they didn't and they had massive problems.
Yes; you can't please all the people all the time and every event has its minor issues but this isn't a matter of a few people being "unhappy" or minor problems.

I am not and I don't think anyone else here is discounting the effort it takes to put on a convention like ZCON - I've run several conventions (some "car" related and some not and some larger than ZCON and some not)...that's one of the reasons I knew our club could not be the host club for 2010.

The problems with registration and the awards are bad enough but at this point there is no excuse for not having counted the ballots for the People's Choice show and have the results published...no excuse whatsoever.

ZCCA is a non-profit business but it IS a business and when you are in business and you screw up the business does whatever has to be/can be done to make it right...that's what separates a great business from an mediocre one.

This is my advice to Chris and what I would do were I Executive Director of ZCCA...

1. COUNT THE DAMM BALLOTS and post the results TODAY - if that meant I had to take a vacation day or two from my job or hire people to come in and count that's what I'd do.

2. Refund the People's Choice car show registration fee of everyone registered for the show - it's a minor gesture that could go a long way.

3. I would include the refund in a formal, personalized, hand-signed letter of apology for screwing up the show, and

4. in the letter, offer a HUGE discount off of next year's registration in some slim hope that the people who got screwed will come to another event.

I would suggest (and this is just my opinion) that in terms of size and prestige, the annual international conventions were becoming almost irrelevant in the larger Z community - this year was a huge departure from that slide into irrelevancy. Because of the participation this year, ZCCA had a tremendous opportunity to reverse that trend and build upon it but sadly, the major screw-ups in Nashville may have ruined that opportunity and certainly, the continuation of the People's Choice car show screw up (now almost nine (9) days post event with no results) is only making it worse.

Last edited by Robert_Nash; 08-09-2010 at 09:42 AM.