View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
westpak
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2003 350Z DB
westpak is on a distinguished road

Not to argue or say your issues are not valid, so I will give my point of view and background in Z's.

I am a relative noob in the Z world when compared to others I have met, I have been in it for 8 years although an admirer for many more.

I currently own 3.5 Z's LOL, pre-ordered my 350Z in Feb 2002 and took delivery August 2002, after that I got a 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo and then a 1971 240Z and my son bought an 07 350Z last year.

Having the various models I have met a lot of people in the Z community and Zcon offers a great opportunity to meet them in person plus go with some of my members and spend time that I otherwise would not locally. So to me a big part of Zcon is social, hell I went without a Z this time.

Now for the show, first I agree that the results should have been announced and also agree that cars should have been placed by model to make it easier to judge.

I would still spend 30 bucks to enter the people's choice, 30 bucks wont break the bank and for me it is about having it in the event and being part of it not about winning it, after many years of entering shows and thinking my 350Z was the bomb there is always someone else that has done more than me, so I just take it in stride.

I would agree to have the models broken down to modified vs stock if there was no judged show, but there is so if people are adamant that their stock Z compete with other stock Z's then enter the judged show, from personal experience the issue usually arises with newer model owners, because lets face it was is to judge in a stock 370Z? how clean it is? Stock condition becomes more important as the car gets older, a stock original or restored 240Z can compete with heavily modified 240Z because a lot of work went into both whether it was restoring or keeping up an original 240Z or modifying it, where as a stock 370Z all it needed was a car wash so yes it is going to lose against a modified 370Z, probably will happen with 350Z's as well.

I enjoy the event from Wednesday to Sunday, and as I mentioned I did not have a Z with me this time, but got to see people that I have made friends with over the years like Mike on here from his 350Z days, Carl Beck from 240Z's, Mad Mike, and hell I got to meet and get an autograph from Mr Matsuo the designer of the 240Z.

So in my point of view if people are just going for the car show and to win a trophy they should probably concentrate on attending events that are strictly car shows and skip Zcon where it is a Convention not just a car show.

As 300twins said let them know your issues as it might help in future events.

Last edited by westpak; 08-08-2010 at 03:07 PM.