View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Robert_Nash
Track Member

Drives: '14 Q60IPL/'14Armada
Robert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300twinz View Post
Robert I stand corrected. When we hosted ZCON in 2009 we gave one award out for People's Choice which made things much more simple. I know that cars during this convention were being judged until very late in the afternoon and with the closing banquet being held the same day the pressure the convention team had on them was truly intense.

I have sent an email to Chris Karl with some of my observations and I encourage you guys to do the same. I hope that some of the suggestions we all have will help the Georgia ZCON Team put on a great event in 2011.
I can understand your confusion, then, but I'm also a bit stunned to hear that ZCON 2009 had only one "People's Choice" winner...I can't even imagine driving hundreds of miles (aprox 970 to be more precise) to be in a People's Choice show where every car, daily driver and $100K garage queen had to compete head to head and there was only one winner. But yeah; I guess it makes things simple.

This is starting to confirm something I've had a gut feeling about for a while now; that being that the "People's Choice" part of the car show and the convention is something done more to to give those who don't get in the "real" car show something to do while the important event goes on.

In other words, that the only thing that really matters to ZCCA is the relatively small handful of cars that get to compete in the judged show and that everything else is ancillary to that one event.

Which would also explain why, now, nearly eight days later, we still don't have the results of the "People's Choice" show...one person working alone should have been able to tally the ballots in a day or two; two or three people should have been able to knock it out in an afternoon.

Someone from my club who worked more closely with Chris that I did is supposed to be taking my comments and those of others and making them known to Chris...whether that has any impact on future events...who knows. I'm a bit doubtful if only because ZCCA itself doesn't typically run a convention as they did this year.

It will also be interesting to see if anything near the attendance of this year's show is seen in succeeding years.

If I go to the 2011 convention (and I likely will), I'll probably skip the car shows all together; save the frustration as well as the $30 for the car show and skip the awards banquet and spend the free time driving!

Last edited by Robert_Nash; 08-08-2010 at 10:12 AM.