View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Robert_Nash
Track Member

Drives: '14 Q60IPL/'14Armada
Robert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300twinz View Post
Normally People's Choice is one award for all cars in the judged and non-judged car show. There is no breakdown in People's Choice based on car model it is strictly a popularity contest.

I agree with many of your observations and I highly encourage you guys to email the convention team. Your feedback helps the next convention team as they plan the 2011 ZCON.
Actually, the only significant difference between a "People's Choice" show and a "judged" show is simply that people (and usually only those registered for the show, not just people attending) "vote" for the cars in the various categories rather than having a team of judges judging the cars by a set of rules.

I've been in many, many, "Z" "people's choice car shows" and every one has been broken down into the generations and usually at least a stock and modified in each generation; sometimes even between roadster and coupe. Further, the ZCON 2010 website specifically breaks down the generations for the people's choice show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCCA 2010
People's Choice Z Car Show:
  • In the People's Choice category, Z's are competing with fellow Z's of the same generation:
    1970 - 1978 - 1st Generation (240z/260z/280z "S30")
    1979 - 1983 - 2nd Generation (280zx "S130")
    1984 - 1989 - 3rd Generation (300zx "Z31")
    1990 - 1996 - 4th Generation (300zx "Z32")
    2003 - 2008 - 5th Generation (350z "Z33")
    2009 - 2010 - 6th Generation (370z "Z34")
  • Each registered convention participant receives a voting ballot to tally up their "Choice" for each generation of Z car. Awards are presented at the closing banquet after the car show.
Z Car Club Association - 40th Anniversary of the Z.** July 28 - August 1, 2010 in Nashville, TN
In most cases, there will be at least a first (and likely a second and perhaps a third) place for "peoples choice" in each generation - which ever car gets the most votes in that generation gets first place, second most votes, second, etc.

ZCON 2010 is one of the only People's Choice shows I've ever experienced where pure stock vehicles were placed in head to head competition with cars that some owners had spent tens of thousands of dollars in modifications on (at least two cars were rumored to have had more than $100K spend on them).

Even worse was the fact that the cars were not parked in generational groups; again, that is a rare occurrence.

I'm no expert on the international convention but my observation over the years tells me it's primarily a big, prestigious car show with some other activities thrown in. As such, the car show is the one major event of the convention where I would expect the least amount of breakdown in the system; after all, they've been doing this for 23 years now.

In this case, however, between trophies being a no-show and all the other issues, it's probably the single worst part of the 2010 convention experience.

Adding to (at least my) frustration is that early this week, ZCCA sent an email to some (but not all and I've not idea whey their email delivery was so haphazard) saying, among other things, that the people's choice results would be posted on both the ZCCA.org and the ZCON 2010 websites "by the end of the week". I'd say that to most people, the phrase "by the end of the week" would generally be a Friday (yesterday) and at least as of a few minutes ago, nothing has been posted...I at least hope they get them posted by Sunday (tomorrow).

I honestly cannot think of a single, substantial reason why all the ballots weren't counted immediately after the show and before the awards banquet - that we are still waiting for the results more than a week later is inexcusable.