View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #147 (permalink)
mrcardio
Base Member

Drives: 08 MS3
mrcardio is on a distinguished road

I find it sad how many people suddenly value their automobiles less as faster / better performing ones come out. It’s as if the only important aspect of a car is how fast it goes from point A to point B. This kind of thinking completely neglects the sort of things which make cars truly great and enjoyable to drive. Unfortunately, impressing friends, girlfriends, etc takes precedents over driving dynamics, driver feedback, and the joy of driving a thoroughly great engineered “driver’s car” amongst a host of other important aspects. For example, recently I read this great comparative test between the Corvette Grand Sport, Lotus Evora and Porsche Cayman S. To sum up the results obviously the Corvette has a lot more power and thus runs faster in a straight line.

It even ran the fastest time around the track (Button Willow Raceway Park) but not because it was the best handling car, but because it was able to power down the straights faster. So the Corvette is faster meaning it’s the best right? Sadly, this is how most (American’s at least) think and probably the reason why imports are generally so much better. But anyway the Porsche wins by virtue of being the best over all sports cars and I couldn’t agree more. If my budget was say 51-53k I’d most likely buy a base Porsche Cayman, obviously not the fastest car but I bet I’d have more fun driving it vs. practically any other car in that price range. I wouldn’t be dwelling over how much faster a 30k Mustang GT is that’s for sure because it doesn't matter.

Last edited by mrcardio; 08-07-2010 at 05:27 PM.
mrcardio is offline   Reply With Quote