View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Robert_Nash
Track Member

Drives: '14 Q60IPL/'14Armada
Robert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really niceRobert_Nash is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by westpak@HPLogic View Post
I just saw the Middle Tennessee club is based in Nashville! I got the impression there was no club there which is why the ZCCA went at it on their own, which they usually do not do.

I did see the club just rejoined the ZCCA this year so maybe that is why there was also no interest or could not really hold a ZCCA convention without being a ZCCA club
I don't believe we re-joined; we joined but it had nothing to do with us not hosting the annual convention.

ZCCA asked Middle Tennessee Z Club (MTZC) to run the 2010 Convention after it had already decided that the 23rd annual international convention celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Z would be held in Nashville (a departure from the normal chain of events for how the convention winds up in a particular city). In other words, they decided where and then hopped we would take on the responsibility for hosting it.

The problem was that MTZC is a completely member run club; there are no elected officers. We have hosted 8 ZAttacks in our history (we were founded in 1999) - most people who have attended will tell you that that ZAttack is a quality event but the bottom line is that putting on that (essentially two day) event (around 80 cars for the show) is a huge effort for our small group and we generally have just enough money left over after ZAttack to be seed money for the next year.

Bottom line is, MTZC didn't have the manpower nor the finances to even begin to host an annual convention; much less one nearly 10 times larger than our own ZAttack. Our decision was communicated to ZCCA early last fall (about the end of August I believe).

Personally, I was disappointed that our club had to turn down the request to host...I wish our club was big enough and had the finances to have hosted the 23rd...we didn't; it's as simple as that.

As I've said and will keep saying, ZCCA put on a great event and deserve the credit for doing so but even a "perfect" event can be improved upon and I hope the above comments about "what went wrong" will be taken to heart and acted on.

Last edited by Robert_Nash; 08-05-2010 at 06:18 PM.