View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #25 (permalink)
U235
Base Member

Drives: 07 G35S 6MT
U235 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl82 View Post
Dont you need a jack, or some other machine to lift up your car in order to change your oil? How do you change your oil?

Also, is royal purple better than Synthetic Mobil oil (the best one)?

Do you guys trust franchise stores, such as Jiffy Lube to change your car oil?

Many thanks.
Yes to jack or ramps or something.

I think Royal Purple is overrated. The top-end Mobil-1s are pretty good, not sure if it's better than RP, but my guess is yes.

PS - Dealers usually have interns changing oil. I've had two cars that had problems with dealer oil changes.

1) Toyota dealer - Forgot to put oil cap back on. After 60 miles I got out and oil was EVERYWHERE. It was coming out of the grill, burning (smelly) on radiator, etc. I took it back, they apologized and power washed my car, but I was never able to get rid of this burnt oil smell in the AC system.

2) Lexus dealer - Put the oil filter on wrong (missed the threads). Oil was getting on the exhaust manifold and left some nice memories on my driveway.

If I don't change the oil myself, I generally find a quick-lube place near where I live, bring my own stuff, and seek out their best guys. If you roll up to those places in a nice ride, they do seem to care more. I had this guy once that was so meticulous, but their place shut down. I got a new place doing the Infiniti now, I'm real happy with the guy that does my changes (he drives a Camaro SS that's in great condition so I know he cares).

I gave up on changing my Infiniti's oil. There's some 22 screws holding up that plastic underguard, it's just an annoyance to take off/take on all the time.
U235 is offline   Reply With Quote