View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zsteve
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: the 2 balled club
Zsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by '10Anamoly View Post
Zsteve, you are partially correct that straight through exhausts have the strong tendency to drone because the mufflers dont break up the sound waves. However, as mentioned above you can fix this drone with tuned side branch resonators. This lets you keep the straight through exhaust and get rid of the drone too, best of both worlds with performance, sound and comfort. Side branch resonators reflect the wavelength of drone back at itself at a quarter the wavelength and effectively cancel out that frequency. Since the drone is actually the pipe resonance frequency echoing in the cabin, you eliminate drone by targeting the frequency at which the resonance occurs.

Yea I have read up on this some and actually opened a thread on it way back, before that one company came out with the results of thier side tubes. I have thought about doing that to my FI but I know that you need to get the right length to match the freq that the exhaust is making. So I never pursude it. Pics of yours would be great.